Indigenous or lived experience within Indigenous community/culture
Compass is a non-profit agency. At Compass, we are a culture of caring, learning and purpose. We believe in investing in our people and providing our employees with many opportunities for growth, development and learning. We are working together to create paths with children, youth and families to reach their full potential. We believe in making a positive impact on the lives of others, by genuinely caring about individuals and our community. Our guiding principles shape how we work with our clients, one another, and our partners.
- Establish and maintain purposeful therapeutic relationships
- Complete comprehensive assessments of clients
- Assess risks of harm to self and others and complete related safety plans
- Develop, implement, and monitor progress of treatment plans
- Ensure assigned files are managed in accordance with relevant professional college standards and compass’ policies, procedures and guidelines
- Develop and maintain knowledge of services provided by other community partners
- Make effective use of those other community services available to ensure a coordinated response to the identified needs of clients
- Provide information concerning children’s mental health and other related topics to the community
- Effectively liaise with other agencies/services involved with clients
- Ensure completion of all clinical and administrative documentation required by legislation, professional colleges, ministry and compass policies and procedures
- Honours Bachelor Degree in Indigenous Social Work, social work or psychology or Bachelor of Arts Child and Youth Care or other related human services honours degrees is required.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who in addition to acquiring the minimum academic qualifications possess a Master’s degree in Indigenous Relations, social work or in psychology.
- Must be registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, or the College of Psychotherapists of Ontario.
- Experience in providing individual, family and group therapy in addition to behaviour management.
- Experience in working in schools, homes and community settings.
- Experience in the implementation of Evidence Based Treatment practices.
- Minimum two (2) years experience providing children’s mental health services is preferred.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience working within culturally appropriate service models for Aboriginal people.
- Experience working with Elders, Healer and contemporary helpers.
- Respect for, sensitivity towards as well as knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture, traditions and the Seven Grandfather Teachings.
- Ability and willingness to support both traditional and contemporary healing practices.
- Commitment to providing services in ways that respect Aboriginal cultures and spiritual practices.
- Solid understanding of the political, social and economic issues of Aboriginals.
- Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills in both official languages (English and French) is an asset.
- Ability to understand and speak Anishinaabemowin is a definite asset.
- Ability to work flexible hours (days and evenings).
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
- A satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
We offer competitive salaries, benefits and pension package. We request that all applicants submit their cover letter and résumé quoting job posting number 1716, clearly indicating how you meet the qualifications and addressed to
62 Frood Road, Suite 100
Sudbury, ON P3C 4Z3
This posting will remain open until filled.
Compass is committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. We believe that equity, inclusion and diversity is key to organizational success. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose Compass as your employer of choice.
Accommodations are available to support applicants in all aspects of the hiring process. If selected for an interview and you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We wish to thank all applicants; however only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.